Monday, October 18, 2010

13 pounds 3 ounces

Finally!! After over a month of ups and downs (in weight) Grace has broken the 13 pound barrier. Who would have thought that each ounce gained would be such a victory? I can't tell how many times I have wished to just give her some of the extra weight I am still carrying around. Unfortunately for me breastfeeding does not equal quick weight loss.

On the training front- though I really should call it exercise- Grace and I finished our second out and back on the big loop today. According to Garmin it is 11.71 miles. It is pretty much all up hill on the way out and surprisingly flat on the way back...the hills are definitely bigger now that I am pushing BOB with a 13 pound baby on board! Towards the end of our 2 hour adventure Grace started to protest. I think that she is ready for the county road crews to come out and grade the road. It is getting pretty rough.

We will be racing in our 2nd race together this Sunday. The Columbia Gorge 1/2 marathon. I last ran this race at least 6 years ago- maybe longer? It is also an out and back that is mostly uphill on the way out and back- go figure! At least it is paved!! Grace is a definite maybe for the race, she really wants to do it, but there is a forecast for rain. I do try and be a responsible parent and I don't think that pushing my child through the rain for 2+ hrs is all that responsible. Of course the grandmas have offered to keep Grace while I run and they will surely protest if I try and take her out in the rain.

Speaking of Grandmas, we sure are lucky. This last Saturday Grace and I attempted our first long ride of the season (and probably our last given that the days are getting shorter and colder). We were part of a three person relay that covered 183 very hilly miles in central (middle of no where) Oregon. Grace made it through about 130 of those miles before the Grandmas had to be called to come get her. I enjoyed riding about 40 of the miles and unfortunately seemed to get more ascents than descents- Grace always seemed ready to eat as I neared the end of a climb.

The weather until this weekend is supposed to be great so I am hopeful to get at least one more ride on 'little red' before it gets attached to the trainer. I need to get my bum toughened again and I figure this winter will be the perfect time to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment